CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Looking for Wisdom

I am reading a book that referenced the Book of Job as a way to handle suffering and asking God "Why?" I started to reflect about my study of Job. I know the story, I know the saying(the patience of Job), but I don't recall ever sitting down and reading the book and trying to understand it. So in my quest to learn more about God, myself, my place on this earth, I have decided I am going to do an informal study of Job. I'm going to see if I can relate it to me and my purpose. Those who would like can study(or pray) with me. I found a study guide that I'm going to loosely follow.(http://www.drbilllong.com/JobStudyGuide/Intro.html

Here are some facts about The Book of Job(from my bible):
~It is a Wisdom Book.(good start, I need some of that!)
~"Artistic dialogue skillfully handling the problem of suffering though only from the standpoint of temporal life"
~Dramatic poem which treats of the problem of suffering of the innocent, and of retribution
~Job is pious and upright, rich, then suffers reversal of fortune and loses his children, his property and gets a loathsome disease.
~Job does not complain against God!
~Wants death to bring an end to his suffering
~Friend's insist his plight is PUNISHMENT for something he has done
~Job rejects this idea  and calls on a response from God
~God answers, not by justifying his action before men, but referring to his own omniscience and almighty power

1 comment:

  1. Okay I am ready to board this caboose. sounds interesting. Job always gives room for more reflection. I will reread and try to study with you.

    ReplyDelete