CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

TV Show Hits Home

Last night premiered a new season of the TV show "Parenthood".  I have been watching this show for a couple of years now and am very interested in the new story lines for this year. Pregnancy of friend or family member, and infertility and adoption of another.  These 2 story lines appeal to me for obvious reasons. I knew this was coming this year, but what I didn't expect was the direction the adoption story was going to take. I was a little irritated with the adoption language, and I hope moving forward they will use "adoption friendly" words.  I also hope they will use this show as a platform to portray a true picture of adoption and not just use extremes for TV ratings.
Julia, the character who wants to adopt is confronted with a young women at work who is pregnant and not "keeping" her baby and faced with the question of should she approach this young woman with a request to adopt her child. This past week I have really been contemplating this one aspect of adoption, that is, asking another woman her adoption/parenting plans. You may ask why and I would tell you because of my job.  I am asked on a regular basis for over the counter medication for woman who are pregnant.  Not really a big deal, but my wheels start turning when the mom is very young. I have had a very young women and her mom in 2 nights in a row.  I am professional and answer their questions, but in the back of my mind I really want to ask, "Do you plan to parent, and if not have you considered adoption?" I don't, I just keep quiet and remain professional, but this is a scenario that has happened several times.  I don't want to judge or pretend to know what is best for a complete stranger, but sometimes I wonder if God has put me on this path because I am an accessible professional to woman who may be considering adoption. The challenge is jumping the great divide to get the conversation started, and I still feel that is not my place to initiate it.
I think I have a solution.  I need a button that says, "Ask me about Adoption" or something like that. Maybe this puts me in the path in case someone is curious..Maybe I should think bigger, maybe we all should wear this button..imagine the audience...the possibilities...

2 comments:

  1. Very creative thinking

    Keep giving them some thoughts
    Or putting some adoption words out there
    Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a tough place to be on a regular basis. . .it makes sense but I've never considered how your job puts you in the face of these decisions so often. In my field we are never allowed to bring it up, God, personal opinion, etc. But God is greater then all the rules, and I'm constantly amazed how He works His way into the example we portray as His followers.
    You were Greatly missed this past meeting. I know He's taking care of you, but know that I'm still asking Him through prayer.

    ReplyDelete