CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 21, 2011

Lent Day 13: Distractions

Today at Mass, I was physically present, but I don't think I was spiritually present.  I was distracted.  There was a new priest that I wasn't used to, children were very rambunctious around me, my stomach(and J's) was growling, etc. I think my imagination was in overdrive. Maybe I had too much coffee before church. I guess in life, there are a lot of distractions that keep me from getting the message. Distractions take away from my focus.  The Gospel was Matthew 17:1-9 "The Transfiguration of Jesus". I left church disappointed that I just didn't get it. I wasn't moved, nothing profound or life changing happened.  I came home and determined that I needed to find the answer.  Maybe that was meant to happen. I think I came home searching, looking for the answer.  I think that is how that hour of church moved me. Lucky for me, God puts people in our life who inspire us, move us, help us learn and grow.  When we are distracted, he puts people in our life who can help us refocus and see. In this case, it was Mom.  I told her I just didn't get it today and this is what she said about the Gospel today:

"Oh yes, the transfiguration is one of Jesus' biggest events leading up to the crucifixion. It is the one time he gives us a glorious beautiful glimpse of the whole Trinity dressed in its finest. It is seeing Jesus at his most glorious and most beautiful and coming for us at our worst and in the most need no matter how downtrodden we are. "


As I research this reading more, it is taking on several different meanings to me.  As with the transfiguration, Peter, James, and John climbed down the mountain not sure what they saw, what it meant to them.  I too today left church not sure what it meant, what I learned, but knowing I wanted to continue on my journey of faith despite my human imperfections that sometimes hinder me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment