CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 15, 2011

Lent Day 38: "Light"


This week I have been reflecting on waiting, praying for patience, and continuing to enjoy life in the process. This past Sunday's reading was from John 11:38-54 
By the time Jesus and his Disciples reach Bethany, Lazarus had been dead four days. At the tomb, Jesus cries. He asks to have the stone rolled away. He prays aloud to God and he calls out in a strong voice: "Lazarus come out". And he came back to life."
I have read several different interpretations of this Gospel. I like the reflection from Larry Gillick at Creighton University. He has a list, which if you ask J he will say "Loribug loves lists".  He says:

1. This story is about the Death and Resurrection 
2. This story is about how personal Jesus is with His love for us
3. This story is about Jesus' calling us out of our personal tombs
4. This story concerns Jesus being the light and the life
5. This story is about the role of "signs" or "works" for the Jews to believe in Jesus.

My church reflection says this: Lazarus is saying: I got sick, died and was buried. Then Jesus came. When he spoke my heart beat and my soul stirred, and I was alive again. Jesus can do the same for you.

This story is telling me I must believe in Jesus. I must have faith that his plan for me will be eventually revealed.  We all get stuck in our "tombs".  We must see Jesus and continue to believe in him if we are ever going to escape our own "personal tombs". Jesus is the light that will lead us out of our dark tombs. 

I have been reflecting on waiting this week, and I feel God sent me some light, a reminder some may say. The director of our adoption agency sent a link that a waiting family had sent her. It is just perfect. If you are interested you can view it at this link: 


No comments:

Post a Comment