CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 29, 2011

National Infertility Awareness Week

I know I am classified as "infertile" and until I prove it otherwise, this is an adjective that can be used to describe me. If I don't say it out loud, maybe its not true. I really don't like this word. I wish we could get a more friendly sounding word like "baby challenged"(however I don't know if that is much better). I have tried not to think about it(or even talk about it) and focus on the positives of my life. Sometimes, life has other plans for you. I turned on the news today and learned it was "National Infertility Week". Hmmmm. The curious part of me visited the Resolve website(a site I have avoided lately). The goal of this week is to bring awareness to this issue by busting myths, giving education, and helping people not be afraid to talk about their "condition". They also address the different ways people build families. Hmmm. I don't talk about my story much, I don't think it is because I am embarrassed, but rather because it is painful and people can be so judgmental(including myself). We have been on this road about 5 years and myths I have heard have been the usual and some more unusual. I have heard:
 1. Take a vacation(we have taken several)
 2. Stop worrying about it and you will get pregnant
 3. you are too stressed(my favorite..I am at fault right?)
 4. stand on your head after relations(I don't know if I could physically do this)

The list goes on but most infertile couples can relate to one of these "myths". If you want to know more myths visit the resolve website.

I won't bore you with the details of the infertility path we took, but we have tried it all, IUI, IVF, acupuncture, the"normal way", etc. I have reflected on it a lot the past few weeks as I have been blogging during lent.  I'm not sure I turned to God enough during that infertility path because I was so focused on the "science" and "curing" what was wrong with me. I think as I have turned to him more, my eyes have been opened to the joy in my life and the plan he has for me that is different, yet still not revealed. In closing, I don't want "infertile" to be the only adjective to describe me.  I would like to be described as "hopeful", "faithful", "funny", "loving", "giving", "graceful", "supportive", I could go on but you get the point........

1 comment:

  1. You ARE hopeful, faithful, loving, giving, graceful, supportive... AND inspirational. Staying faithful and positive when you have no idea how and where (and WHEN) your journey to motherhood will end is the hardest thing I've ever experienced. I am awed by your ability to do it, even if only on occasion. The only time I ever turned to God during our treatments was to let Him know how angry I was and how unfair it was. I have no doubt that His plan for you is to be a mother to an amazing, special, fabulous little person and you have our prayers that you get to meet him or her very soon.

    ReplyDelete